CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Seek Ye First

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them…And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these…But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Matt 6: 25-33

I write these letters for many reasons… One is to show you the God who is worthy of all Praise, another is to make you think, or just to make you laugh, even if it means making myself look like an idiot. If you laugh, it’s worth it.

This letter is partially in response to my previous letter and partially to the things that are going on around me.

I spent a good part of my Sunday evening talking to a friend of mine who was going through some issues with motherhood. She was afraid she would not be the woman her son needed as a mother. I spent some more time talking to a loved one about marital issues and the uncertainty that is going to come. I’ve spent time talking to brothers and sisters in the faith about dating and relationships. And I’ve spent a lot of time worrying about a job opportunity and personal health issues. As always I turn to my man and the one who watches over me.

This verse came to mind when my Life Span Development professor was teaching on the decisions Young Adults face. People between the ages of 18-35 are faced with having to choose a mate and a career. I do not fear being married to a man, I fear marrying the wrong man. I asked him how I would know who was the right man for me. He quoted Erwin McManus, “When you are passionate about God, you can trust your passions.”

At this point in our lives we should not be worried about finding the right man or gaining the perfect career. Our main focus should be on becoming that Man and that Woman God wants us to become. The more we let God infiltrate us, the more we become like Him and are able to make the right choices. We gain His wisdom, His perception, and a heart like His. When that happens, everything will fall into place. We will become that mother, father, wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, sister, brother, friend, co-worker and boss that we are meant to be. Things may not always be perfect, but they will be as they should be.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6: 19-21

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well my friend, I'm right there with you on this blog (as you know because I'm one of the ones you've had conversations about relationships with... I love that we can share, by the way!). AND I love the Erwin quote here... I remember hearing him say that before and reading it today was such a good reminder! I am glad you write.