CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Can't sleep.... so I blog

Apparently my name not only originates from the Hebrew language, but Sanskrit too.


The name Eva comes from the Indian origin. In Sanskrit the meaning of the name Eva is: One who gives life.

Under the Hebrew origin the name means: Life. Living one. A variant of Eve.

Growing up, I never liked my name. My name in its entirety is Eva Patricia Munoz Ramirez. Eva after my grandmother, Patricia after my mother, Munoz is my father's last name, and while it is not on my birth certificate I took on my mother's maiden name out of Mexican tradition. If I was in Mexico I would keep my mother's maiden name until I got married. After that I would drop it and take on my husbands name, and my name would look something like this....

Eva Patricia Munoz de Whatever. 

The "de" in my last name would mean that I know belong to my husband's family.

But back to why I didn't like my name... First of all it wasn't unique. I am the fourth woman in my family that I know of who has this name. Secondly, it will forever be associated with the fall of man. I remember feeling bad whenever that story was told at church. People would jokingly give me a dirty look whenever it was mentioned, but I took it to heart. So I really didn't like my name... but I'm beginning to see it in a different light. 

A constant theme in my life is redemption. I think that is evident in my name as well. 

Eve, along with Adam, sinned and as such brought on the Fall of man. It's funny how God was able to take the woman who brought death into the world and cause life to flow from her.  He was able to take something ugly, and make it beautiful again. 


1 comments:

Bazooka Knight said...

That last part was really interesting. The part about being forth life from death. :-)

Jon