CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

On love and being loved

A couple of you have asked me how my quest for a man is coming along. Since it’s Valentine’s Day, I thought I should update you.

I recently visited my parent’s church. After the service had ended I couldn’t help but notice a young man who was smiling at me. I smiled back and continued to make small talk with the people around me. Every so often I would lift my eyes to find his eyes and smiled had not moved. After ten minutes of playing “googlie eyes” I came to realize that I am now 24 years old, and have no time for foolishness. My little sister just got married last summer, and I had to endure more than half my family and friends asking me when I was going to do the same. I stood straight, locked eyes with him, and began to slowly move toward him. Trying to do my best impersonation of a cat I tilted my head down and gently rolled my hips from side to side. As I got closer his smile got wider, until he realized that I was moving past him and out the door.

What I lack in shame, I make up for in pride. I am more than fine asking a guy friend to hang out, but romantically I would never make the first move.

I need to talk to my Johns (Jons). They have done nothing to help me find a man. I am a 24-year-old grad student living at home with her parents, and I have two cats. I don’t think they understand the severity of my situation. I have been on dates though…and by dates I mean one… and by one I mean a blind date set up by a friend at work. I must say that the date ended in a sturdy handshake, an awkward sides hug, and under the understanding that this will never go beyond friendship, and that’s ok with me.

When I go on a date I do a couple things to ensure my safety. First of all I make sure I at least know some history on the guy, secondly I wear my cross necklace, and thirdly I don’t shave my legs. I do the last two just in case he tries to get “frisky”. If one doesn’t stop him, then I hope the other will. If that doesn’t work my Jujitsu-practicing-Pastor and my military brother-in-law have taught me moves that I am VERY eager to try out.

I am by no means lonely though. I have my family, my sisters in the faith, my Johns (Jons) and people who take good care of me. A couple weeks ago my truck broke down and my friends Mike and McCormick came to help me. The same thing happened last week and my cousins fixed the starter so I could drive home. I love writing as a means of communicating, but other than that words mean very little to me. I feel loved by what people do, not by what they say. I feel very loved by people around me.

Happy Valentine's Day! I pray you are all feeling loved.

1 comments:

Mandolin said...

hey my friend...Its Amanda, i found you on Marina's blog.

I have to say I love your strength. Before Jonny and I became a couple I would not have been able to talk with as much confidence as you have here. One day you will find an AMAZING man, just like I did. He will love every little thing about you. And it will be that much more special for having waited that long.