CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Creatively Created to Create

The idea of mankind and the reasons as to why we were created have been running though my head lately. I had a good discussion with my friend Katie today. We were discussing Jesus and how He is depicted in media today. Whether it be in theater, movies, or drawings. If we filled our minds with these images and nothing other… would we recognize Him if He stood in front of us?

I think the need to worship is deeply imbedded in human nature, and creating images is just one outlet. Think about it… humans as early as cavemen adorned their homes with images of the things they valued most. Granted, that some of the images out there were meant to mock God and not worship. If that is the case, I find it deeply offensive and worthy of words I cannot say here. But those who do this as homage to God should be encouraged to continue.

So… when we look at these images I think we should do so with the understanding that no matter how beautifully they depict God… how compassionate… how kind… the real portrait of who He is, is so much more beautiful… so much more compassionate… so much more kind… just so much more.

Furthermore, I pose that if God is the Creator of all things, and we are made in His image, how can we not create? How can we not paint…take pictures… sing… play music… speak… write… or act… In doing so we are constantly reworking, redefining, and recreating the world around us into one that is more in tune with the will of God. To not do so would be to accept the status quo, and stagnant waters only fester and pollute.

I must create a system, or be enslav’d by another man’s. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create

William Blake
as written in Jerusalem

2 comments:

Bazooka Knight said...

Amen Sista from anotha Mista

Actually many people look at the statement of "in the image of God" to mean that creative nature we have in us. It is unique to our species.

Eva said...

It really is homie... it really is.

Mucho luvo from your sista