CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Realness

A couple of years ago a group of us got together to catch up. It was the summer I went to India and some in our ISP team decided to meet up at one of our leader's home. The conversation quickly turned to God and our walk with Him. Being at a time of a spiritual high, I started talking about how wonderful it was to be so tightly grafted to God. Lawson Moore started talking about being careful not to take it for granted. There come times in every Christian's life where the peaks can turn into valleys very quickly. I didn't want to believe him, I truly believed that if one were always careful, the high would never end...not true.

When Jesus spoke about the unclean entering the mouth, he was more concerned about what exited. This is what would give testimony of what was in the heart.

Kristen White was one of my mentors while I was at CBU. A group of us would meet once a week in order to learn from each other and keep each other accountable. I mostly kept silent during these meetings because I wanted to learn as much as I could. In one of our last meetings Kristen, knowing that we would eventually become disconnected from one another, encouraged each of us to find a new accountability group. I didn't and I think that was my downfall. I have amazing friends who love me and encourage me and I love them back. But there is a difference between this and a time of focused Bible study and being real with each other and our struggles.

I've been blessed to work in a place where the only Christian is one who is new to the faith and I am mentoring. I've had countless opportunities to speak about God and eternity. One of the girls who cusses better than anyone I've ever met told me how instead of saying her usual battery of words found herself saying "Gosh Golly Darn it" and was surprised how I had rubbed off on her. But if I don't graft myself to God, I'm going to fail her. I've noticed a difference in the way I act, I speak, and react to things... it's not good.

A couple weeks ago my pastor gave a sermon on the promises God made in the Bible. My pastor challenged us to call upon those promises. If He is God he cannot lie. Therefore His word is true and He must fulfill His promises. This is not something new to me... Jeff Lewis said the same thing a couple years ago in one of his classes. If we are lonely, God promised we would never walk alone, call Him on that promise. If we are tiered, God spoke of how His burden is light, call on that. And on go the promises, and on go our responsibility...

Furthermore, our relationship with God is just like any other relationship. We all choose how far we go... how invested.. how real and intimate. I need to make a choice and not be fearful of where it might lead me.

0 comments: